1)From the Maldive Islands, Four
Seasons Resort, "We have now finished the
building the first set of 30 reef balls.
We are now almost ready to complete the deployment of the first nursery at
5 metres (already six are underwater), the second set at 10 metres and the
third set at around 20 metres.
Best regards, Betti Colombo (Marine Biologist for the Four Seasons Resort)
2) The Army Corp of Engineers officially awarded the design and engineering
work for the Reef Ball Submerged Breakwater in Miami. This is expected to
be a 1.1 million dollar construction project.
3) WEST COAST ARTIFICIAL REEF COORDINATORS WORKSHOP MAY 7-8: Just a
reminder that the workshop is the week after next in Sarasota, Florida. Hope
to see many of you there.
4) FLORIDA STATE ARTIFICIAL REEF STRATEGIC PLAN WORKSHOPS: The draft
strategic plan has been drafted by the Artificial Reef Advisory Board, and
we have begun holding public workshops around the state to gather public
comment. The first was held in Jacksonville on April 3rd. The next will be
in Sarasota (Mote Marine Lab) on May 8th from 5:30-6:30pm, following the SW
coordinators workshop. For more info and a copy of the plan see
5) Reef Ball Molds are being shipped this week to Kuwait for projects by
Kuwait Reef Ball Company.
6) Molds are being shipped this week to Maryland Environmental Services for
projects in Maryland.
7) At www.lafalda.com there are original oil paintings, fine wines, and even
artesian woodworking products available where 10% of sales are donated to
the Reef Ball Foundation!
8) PT Newmont Company in Indonesia has ordered Reef Ball molds for a
community based project.
9) lots more to come...stay tuned...