1) The Army Corp of Engineers at Lake Okeechobee has received $5,000 of
public money to enhance their Reef Ball project. Operation Bass is
assisting in the project. Reef Balls are expected to be deployed this
spring/summer in the lake.
2) The Oman Procreator Reef Ball Project reports, 'The corals on the Reef
Balls are now about 40 cm tall.' Photos from this monitoring report will
be posted on our web site this week.
3) Reef Ball HQ now has a color fax machine (Brother series). Therefore
it is possible to send color faxes to our office if you have a compatible
color fax machine. Our fax number is 941-752-1033
4) Allied Concrete and an association of concrete producers in Virginia
are proposing to team up with Reef Ball to create education programs for
Virginia students to participate in the building and deploying of Reef
Balls while learning about the diverse applications and technologies
associated with concrete. The Virginia DNR has pledged its support of the
program offering permitted areas to use Reef Balls in Virginia state
waters according to the artificial reef program goals for the state. This
proposed project is still in preliminary planning stages.
5) Jerry Jenson of the Charlotte Harbor Reef Association reported to us on
three new potential Reef Ball projects in Lee County. These new Reef Ball
reefs will be sited closer to the opening of Charlotte Harbor where there
is greater boating access. Jerry Jenson said that they are adding a B/W
video tow-fish capability for improved video monitoring of the Reef Balls.