1) LATEST NEWS FROM AUSTRALIA
Body Shop (international natural cosmetic franchise) has sponsored two
Bay Balls to be added to the Southern Cross underwater trail off
Mooloolaba (Queensland, Australia). This a combined sponsorship
involving the Body Shop, Underwater World and Green MARINE
International. Underwater World initiated the trail and has been a key
player in raising sponsorship and providing boats and divers. Scheduled
deployment is March 24, and the hit children's show, 'Totally Wild' will
be there filming away. This is an initiative to protect local dive sites
and increase awareness of the diversity of marine life in the area.
2) A Paper will be presented at the National Coral Reef Initiative Meeting
"USE OF ARTIFICIAL REEFS IN SHALLOW DEPTHS TO PROTECT NATURAL REEFS AND
Lee E. Harris, Division of Marine and Environmental Systems, Florida
Institute of Technology, 150 West University Boulevard, Melbourne, Florida
32901 USA Lharris@fit.edu
It will highlight the use of Reef Balls as a submerged breakwater to
create a beach without sand "renurishment" as well as discuss other
3) Reef Ball molds were shipped to Hong Kong and Tiawan this week.
4) Reef Ball Foundation and Bear Advertising are working together to place
Reef Balls in a fresh water bass lake in California.
5) Reef Ball continues to update our website with many new images and
features. Several new articles on Reef Balls were in the news this week
and posted to the site.
6) Reef Ball staff members will be in Costa Rica from March 27-Aril 4th.
Contact our offices if you are from the area and interested in a possible
7) Over 100 Bay Balls were deployed at Rotunda West, a 26 mile system of
freshwater canals in Venice, Florida.
Have a great weekend.