1) From Alex Waters, Teacher in Jacksonville..." ? Things here are going
GREAT! Looks like we will be pouring our first Reef Balls of this new
school year this Thursday. The concrete company is still supportive. I
have received some more recognition about the project from Relistar and
Northern Life of Seattle, WA. They presented me with an Unsung Hero's
Award. I also got a local award from the First Coast Manufacturers
Association for the 2000 Thank You Teachers annual assembly. Then, the
school board presented me with a Certificate of Recognition at the last
school board meeting, so Reef Balls certainly are getting a lot of press.
Note: Alex was one of two teachers who coordinated the Kirbo Memorial Reef
deployed last Spring in Jacksonville and St. Augustine, Phil Stewman was
the teacher who coordinated the kids in St. Augustine.
2) An Article in The Islander, October, 4th, 2000, Page 13 discusses Anna
Maria Island's proposal to place Reef Balls under the City's pier.
3) Southwest Divers in the U.K. is in the planning stages for a Reef Ball
reef off the south coast of the U.K.
4) Reef Ball gave a presentation today to Classroom on Wheels. Over 40
Sarasota area seniors gathered for a presentation and tour of the Reef
Ball construction facilities. Two more presentations are scheduled for
the Classroom on weeks at the end of November (29-30th).
5) Reef Ball President Todd Barber will deliver a paper on Reef Balls at
the Gulf of Mexico Fish and Fisheries Conference: Bringing Together New
and Recent Research, October 24-26 in New Orleans.